NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Grad work in Astronomy
Name: Wiz Kid
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I have a bachelors degree in biology and chemistry. H However, I want to study astronomy in graduate school. Please give me advice as to how I can prepare myself to be considered a candidate to an astronomy graduate program.

Go to the library of a college or your nearby library and write to college astronomy departments to find out what their entrance requirements. Some may find that your background is adequate. Usually they will want a physics major with some astronomy experience. However, it will depend on the program. Be sure to look at future careers in this area. It will depend on what you want to do. If you want to research, study physics. If you have other goals, like working in a planetarium, you could start other places. Go and talk to some professors, write them, get information. They will be happy to talk and give advice.

Sam B