NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne New Planet?
Name: sheryl

Question:
My students came into class yesterday claiming that they had heard that a new planet beyond Pluto was discovered. They said that the new planet was named, Karla. I have seen nothing about this in the papers. Another teacher said she heard it on the news. Do you have any information about this supposed discovery?

Yes, I have heard something about a new planet beyond Pluto ... but not that it was named "Karla". I have a hunch, though, that the name will not stick, if indeed it was the name, simply because all the other planets are named after mythological figures and some consistency in naming is always in order. I also have the impression that this planet (called planet X when I read about it) had a retrograde orbit ... that is, it revolves around the sun in the opposite direction as all the other planets.

Wiz Kid