NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cheap Astrophotography
Name: ab

Question:
How how can I take come photos of the night sky, with my camera, without great expense

First, your camera must hafve a manual exposure time control. if it does, it will have B and T settings which stand for "bulb" and "time". the T setting will hold the shutter open until you press the shutter button a second time. depending on what you want to photograph, you want to use fast color or B/W film; you'll have to experiment with the f-stop to get the right exposure. you'll also need to put the camera in a steady position for the duration of the exposure ( a tripod is usually used for this, but that's not really necessary ).

It's really not as complicated as this probably makes it sound.

Just go out and try it !

John (e-mail hawley)