NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Seeing the Planets
Name: wildman jackson

Question:
Can someone tell me where and when to look in the night sky to see the planets? I've been wanting to know this for a while now. Thanks.

Yes. "Sky and Telescope" magazine will give you a monthly update.

J Lu

As you've apparently noted, there's not much to see these days. Venus and Mars are lost in the glare of the sun (that is, our line of sight to these planets passes too close to the sun for us to be able to see them) and Saturn, low in the west at sunset, will soon follow suit. Mercury is supposed to be visi ble in the west at sunset (I haven't been able to find it so far) but is also rapidly fading. Jupiter rises in the southeast at around 1:30 in the morning and should be visible after then until dawn. Fortunately, its rise time is getting earlier an d earlier. Of course, the above info will be outdated and totally useless before long; your best bet is to take J Lu's suggestion; Sky & Telescope (or Astronomy) magazine, often found at the local public library, will tell you precisely where and when to loo k for the planets, as well as other astronomical events.

Unknown