NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cosolar Activity and Cosmic Rays
Name: anthony

Question:
To who it may concern:

I am at Fermi's DOE HiHS honors program and I need to know where I can get current solar activities like flares and the such. I needed to know the cycle that it is in currently related to cosmic rays. PLEASE respond quickly

Here are a couple of places to get data via anonymous ftp:

ftp.uleth.ca Look in the directory /pub/solar (and below) for daily solar activity reports.

From a Unix machine you can also get the daily report using the command finger daily@xi.uleth.ca | more

For sunspot counts, go to ftp.sunspot.noao.edu Look in the directory /pub/solar

I found these sites very readily using the AstroWeb index on Mosaic. I highly recommend Mosaic as a search tool.

RC Winther

n b