NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Colliding Black Holes
Name: james l vanwinkle

Question:
If two super massive black holes reach a point of mutual attraction, will the objects at the heart of each black hole not accelerate to the speed of light? What would be the result of the impact of the two objects? Could the objects obtain an impact speed in excess of the speed of light? Could you not have a re gional "big bang"? Any good articles on the object of colliding black holes?

There have been a number of good articles on black holes. I remember at least one that dealt with collisions, but I do not remember where it is to be found. Go look up some articles: either Scientific American, Science, etc. Until the two black holes get really close (so their event horizons overlap), th ere will not be much that is different from two masses moving under attractive forces. The speeds of things will not be strange. When they start to "touch" There should be lots of mass transfer and radiation. I do not know any of the details. It should be an interesting study.

Samuel P Bowen

n b