NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Radio Waves in Black Holes
Name: bryan d spray

Question:
I would like to know a bit about Black Holes. Is it true that most of the electromagnetic spectrum can't escape the gravitational pull but radio waves can? If it isn't true then what is the story?

I hadn't heard that, but I can imagine there might be some truth to it: if a radio wave had a wavelength long enough, it really wouldn't make sense to say whether it was "inside" the black hole or "outside" of it. I guess the same would hold for any other particle with very low energy. Good question.

A Smith