NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Radiation from the Sun
Name: East High

Question:
Some Astro-Geo. students forom East High in Aurora want to know how much gamma, iefnfrardeed, ultraviolet & x-ray radiation actually reaches the Earth's surface from the sun (%).

There is almost no gamma or x-ray radiation from the sun. A The amount of visible and near visible light from the sun follows the black body formula (radiation from a hot body). I will have to look up the amount of vissible light from the sun, which is called the solar constant by some people. I think it is something like a watt per square meter, but I will have to look it up. This iwll be the total amount of energy in the visible range.e Send me back a message if you really want to know more.

Samuel P Bowen