NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne General Info about Mars
Name: brian p laporte

Question:
I am doing a project on astronomy and need information on mars. other than nitrogen, could you please tell me what the planet mars is made of (please don't say cheese!)? I appreciate your help on this matter. thank you.

The atmosphere has lots of carbon dioxide. The ground seems to be the same kinds of minerals as the earth has, with lots of silicates (silicon and oxygen and other stuff mixed in) and also a dash of iron oxides to give it that reddish color. Mars does seem to be somewhat lower in water than the earth, probably because its original water got decomposed into oxygen and hydrogen, and the hydrogen escaped because it was so light.

A Smith