NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cosmic Ruminations
Name: howard e miller 

Question:
OK, OK, I'm a layman. I've been reading in Scientific American about new theories on the conditions and origins of the universe. Some things might l Lead one to believe that not only are there multiple universes, but that they might be interconnected. In fact, in the Mandelbrot set, all Man- delbrot numbers are connected - whether that has any bearing or not, I don't know, but I've been wondering if perhaps gravity from other universes might be haveing an effect on ours. The effect would be limited, I think by phase variance, the way that electromagnetic waves interact. Could our universe be _intertwined_ with another? From our point of view, it might _look_ like a balloon being blown up by God, but maybe from a superdimensional point of view it looks more like the froth that forms at the crest of a breaking wave.

WOW! someone's actually been *reading*!

I think the answer to your question is: "yes".

Cosmology is enough to boggle anybody's mind, and when you start including multiple universes, anything becomes possible. However, I have found that when it comes to living your life, it is much easier to assume that this is the only reality, that we cannot "beam" into an alternate universe, that we cannot use "magic" to control this reality, that the world we woke up to this morning is pretty much the same as the one we left last night..

Sorry. This is getting outside our topic. NEWTON doesn't have a section for philosophy and metaphysics. Maybe we should start one!

Hawley