NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne General Information About Meteors
Name: Sean Evans

Question:
I would like to know about meteors. Have you collected any of them?

Gee, Sean, I have not collected any. I wish that I had. It is very difficult to tell whether any rock that you find is part of a meteor. I suppose that if a rock looked different from the others it may be a candidate for a meteor. While lots of meteors do hit the atmosphere I have not heard about many that were large enough to hit the ground. I wonder how you would be able to tell them from other rocks? Why don't you look around and see if some of the rocks around you town could be meteors? I will have to ask geologists if they can tell the difference.

Samuel P Bowen