NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rings Around Saturn
Name: Mark Justiss
Age: 5th Grade

Question:
My name is Mark Justiss, I am a fifth grader in Daingerfield, Texas. I am interested in space and astronomy. I am studying about the rings of Sa Saturn.

Why does Saturn have rings and other planets don't? I know Voyager discovered rings on some of the other planets, but they are small compared to Saturn.

I think it's now believed rings come from the breakup of objects that come too close to the planet - like comets or asteroids for example. In that view, Saturn has bigger rings than the others because it's had more such things come in and break up recently (in the last few million years?) than any of the other planets. Or maybe there's some other explanation?

A Smith