NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Anthropogenic Heavenly Body
Name: michael b lomonaco

Question:
In the early evening in the north by north west sky I see a heavenly body that is red white and blue with white being the central color and the others polarized to the lateral sides. As evening progresses it seems to move more to the spouth rather than to the the west. Is this a man made object.? It has been suggested to me that it is a geosynchronous satellite. If so, what is the purpose of the colored lights.

I've never heard of a geosynchronous satellite being visible to the naked eye nor any satellite with colored lights. Sirius, the brightest star in the heavens, often appears in different colors due to atmospheric refraction effects, but it would be towards the east in early evening. It might be Venus or Jupiter, they're both bright enough to cause color effects, but I'm not sure where they are in the sky right now. By the strict definition of the term, you have seen a UFO!

Hawley

I don't know your latitude, so I don't know how the heavens look from where you are. In Northern Illinois, Sirius is in the South and so is Jupiter. Arcturus is bright in the West. Best thing to do is get a copy of Sky and Telescope which always contains a star map for the current season.

J Lu