NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne KOSMOPHILOSOPHIA
Name: John

Question:
As human Beings , we tend to live most of our lives in traffic jams, polluted cities, and an Economic System that replaces people and their talents with machines faster than most of us can absorb a newly created technology. What gives me pleasure in life today is that it is possible for everyone of us to better his or herself in such a way that philosophy and human discipline can outweigh materialistic views. The ancient Greeks namesd Orion the hunter upon the heavens simply because the Greek word for HEAVEN is ORION. Just thinking of how philosophy of the Ancient world blended in with their intelligence is enough to give anyone today the courage to map the COSMOS (another GREEK word). As a matter of fact , there is something about these ancient peoples that lead me to think that we live in an epoch of technological MIDDLE AGE thinking . I mean take out the lights and New York City goes Barbaric. I think we have a lot of work to do in recognizing that we have more to learn from each other than we have to gain from selfish need.

Besides the HEAVENS were there long before we came along, and you know what my logic, (as Aristotle would have said) tells me Orion will still be there long after we are gone. john a koulouris

John, Thanks for your long range view. It is really a great gift to be able to gaze at the universe and try to understand it. We hope to lead a lot of students to that exercise with this bulletin board.

Samuel P Bowen