NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Jupiter in December of 1995
Name: gough

Question:
I am interestered in Jupiter. Isn't there something important happening in December? I think that one of space probes will be close to Jupiter in December. Isn't that correct? I would appreciate having more detail for my English as a 2nd language science classes. Thanks.

You're correct! The Galileo spacecraft is scheduled to arrive at Jupiter in early December. Here is what the Project Galileo Web page has to say:

"Galileo is currently enroute to Jupiter, with arrival scheduled for December 7, 1995. At that time, Galileo's atmospheric probe will plunge into Jupiter's atmosphere, relaying information on the structure and composition of the solar system's largest planet. The spacecraft's orbiter will then spend two years orbiting the giant planet, studying Jupiter and its moons, and returning a steady stream of images and scientific data."

If you have a Web browser, you can find out more (and keep up to date) by accessing URL http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/galileo/ (this is the page where I got the above quote). You may also want to check out NASA's K-12 Initiative Web page, URL http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/jupiter.html You can also get information through NEWTON.

RC Winther