NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gravity and Planet Alignments
Name: bryan

Question:
Hello,

My question has to do with something I had heard about not to long ago but since then I havent heard too much about it although it seems rather important.I was watching a show on t.v. and they were talking about Planets lining up 4 to 5 of them I beleive and the gravitational pull that would occur.I beleive they said this would happen in the year 2000 and I would like to know more about this aligning and what the consequences might be?

I remember them saying the graitational pull could be so severe it could knock the earth off it's axis??and cause all kinds of other catastrophies,possibly triggering the end of the world. Please enlighten me...Bryan

Bryan,

The only thing I know about this is that is was reported to be occurring May 5, 2000. I heard the story connected to the doomsday cults, but I only remember the date because it is the day before my father's birthday. As I said, beyond that, I have no information.

Dr. Rupnik