NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Slowing Earth
Name: Simon

Question:
My wife says she has heard that the eath is spinning slower and slower and that somebody has claimed that in a few years it may even stop! This seems quite major. First, is this true and second what would be the implications if it did ?

Here's what I read somewhere. The time required for a complete rotation of the earth gets shorter by 0.53 seconds every century.

When the earth stops, it will get very hot on one side and very cold on the other. We probably should leave before this happens. I plan to, anyway.

Yes, it is true. But don't worry about it. Your "few years" is well into the billions of years. I guess it depends on your time frame.

I do not have the reference near by, but I seem to recall the day is lengthening by .0016 seconds per year. I am not confident in the precision of this number, but the concept is right.

Don't lose sleep worrying! I expect the sun will burn out before the earth stops spinning. If you need to fret, perhaps the death of the sun is a better target - I seem to recall about 4.5 billion years - something in the range of 150 million generations.