NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne The Name of the Moon
Name: doug a foster

Question:
Other planets have moons with names. Is there an official name for our moon?

I hate to see questions go unanswered, but I'd say no. I'm no expert on the subject.

jlu

The "official" name is the Moon, with a capital M. The satellites of the other planets are called moons (small m). Similarly, stars are referred to as suns, but our star is the Sun.

Unknown

Then again, the sun is sometimes Sol, earth, Terra, and the Moon, Luna...

Hawley

In science fiction novels maybe, but not in any text I've ever seen...

RC Winther