NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Star Expansion Rate
Name: John R.

Question:
When a star expands/explodes how long does it actually take for it to engulf its solar system? Minutes, years, centuries? The animations on documentaries seem to take minutes.

Many Centuries

Howard Barnes

It would all depend upon how violent the explosion is, and how far away the planets are, but you could bracket it. I am sure that the time that lapses from a solar flare that sends particles to the earth is known, I just do not happen to know what it is. That would be a lower limit. The speed of light would be an upper limit.