NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Path Shape of Venus Over Time
Name: Peter C.

Question:
I was recently reading a popular fictional novel and it said that if one were to track Venus' transit through the night sky, it would seem as though it would form the shape of a 5 pointed star through course of eight years. I would like to know if this is true.

Have you seen a Spirograph drawing toy (or the applet)?

http://accessarts.org/ArtKids/spirograph/

You could use this to explain how it is possible for any orbit to define a track such as a five-pointed star by showing the ellipsoidal path. I do not know if Venus actually tracks that way, but I do not think it should be remarkable.