NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Big Bang and Symmetry
Name: Tod
Location: NV

Question:
I read that the Universe was, at its beginning a singularity: almost infinitely small and dense. Is the singularity from which the Universe emerged at the Big Bang necessarily symmetrical?

I do not think there is any observations to answer your question. A "singularity" implies an infinite value. This is a consequence of the mathematical model being used. Physics is full of singularities and infinite values. These are a result of the limitations of the model, not what "Nature" is doing. An old classical example is the "prediction" in a hydrogen atom, the electron orbiting a proton should spiral into the nucleus giving rise to a "singularity". This prediction reflects the limitation of the model. It is the model's limitations that give rise to the problem. In the case of cosmology, one has to respect the limitations of our models which may break down in conditions where we have no "experience".