NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Simultaneous Star Sightings
Name: Jimmy
Location: NV

Question:
Can my friend from New York see the same star as me at the exact same time in California? If yes or no, about how many miles apart can someone be to see the same star at the same time?

Dear Jimmy,

Yes, he can see the same star, but not in the same spot at the same time. California is 3 hours west of New York, so, assuming the sky in both places is clear, your California friend will see the same star in roughly the same spot in the sky 3 hours later. California is also a bit south of New York. If the New York star is in the southern part of the sky, it will appear a bit higher in the sky in California. However, if the star is in the northern sky, like Polaris, it will appear a bit lower in the California sky.

Sincerely

David H. Levy