NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Multi-colored Stars
Name: James
Location: NV

Question:
I was wondering why do some stars show more then one color? I do not have a telescope but I use my binoculars and I see a bunch of colors going around these stars one at a time. The colors are red, blue, white, green, yellow, violet (colors are not necessarily in this order).

Dear James,

All stars have a single color, though that changes over very long periods of time. They my appear to change color quickly because of the unsteadiness

of Earth's atmosphere, but those changes are not real.

David Levy

Stars emit a variety of wavelengths of visible light. The eye is not sufficiently sensitive to distinguish these various wavelengths (colors). The "colors" you see when using binoculars is due to distortions in the lenses of the binoculars, which cause the incoming light to focus at slightly different positions in the optical path (including the eye). Without specialized equipment to disperse the incoming light all stars appear approximately "white" to the eye. Again, what you are seeing has to do with the optics of the binocular and not the properties of the star.