NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lunar Horns and Latitude
Name: Paul
Location: NV

Question:
I am asking this question on behalf of my partner who is a middle school science teacher with the Palm Springs Unified School District. After a lifetime in Seattle my casual observation of the moon, it seems the tips of the crescent moon typically form a line pointing to my horizon, perhaps 30 degrees or so from perpendicular. This spring, after moving to Palm Springs, California I have observed the tips of the crescent moon form a line that is almost parallel with my horizon. What can account for this difference in observations?

Dear Paul,

Good question. I believe the difference in where the line between the tips of a crescent Moon points are answered with your change in latitude.

Hope this helps!

David H. Levy