NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Singularity Size
Name: Rick
Location: MI

Question:
How are scientists able to determine the distance size of singularities within black holes?

Dear Rick,

The distance of a black hole is obtained the saem way as astronomers would determine the distance from the star that preceded it. If it is relatively close within our galaxy, then parallax might work, or a redshift if it is a big black hole in a distant galaxy. I am sorry I have no idea about the diameter of the singularity, except to suggest that the single point has no diameter at all.

David H. Levy