NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Precession, Seasons, and Tropics
Name: David
Country: Brazil

Question:
(You need a questioner's category called "Parent trying to answer kids' question, which is what I am.) As precession wobbles the Earth's axis, switching winter and summer in the northern and southern hemispheres every 13,000 years, there must be a period in the middle where the Earth, as it swings around, comes "broadside" to the sun, at which point there would be no seasons. But there is a question/answer in the archives that says this is not so. Why not?

Also, are the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn getting closer together as a result of precession?

Dear David,

This is a very good question, and one I find hard to answer. I believe that even though the Earth is wobbling like a top as it precesses, the seasonal alteration is so gradual we do not notice it. It takes about 26000 years for one precession cycle. I do not think there is a sudden change in seasonal time because of this reason. About ten years ago there was a lot of ballyhoo about rapid season change because of a cosmic impact. For an object to torque the Earth so that the equator would become the pole, it would have to be at least as large as Mars. That is not in our future.

Thank you!

David H. Levy