NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dark Matter and Black Hole Correlation

Name: Andrew
Grade: 12+
Location: CO

Question:
Has a correlation between galactic dark matter and the presence of galactic super massive black holes ever been observed - do galaxies with super massive black holes at their center tend to have more dark matter?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the question. The existence of dark matter anywhere in the universe has not been confirmed. There are currently experiments in progress which are searching for dark matter. Therefore no correlation between galactic dark matter and the presence of galactic super massive black holes can be established.

I hope this helps. Thanks Jeff Grell

This is out of my range of expertise, but if you do a Google search on the question: Is there a relation between dark matter and black holes? It appears that there is not. Since both of these objects are only partly understood, it would be wise to keep an open mind.

Update: December 2011