NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Multiverse Depictions

Name: Abe
Grade: 12+

Question:
I am fascinated with the concept behind the multiverse theory. However, one thing that kind of confuses me is that when the multiverse theory is visualized (as I have seen in many scientific documentaries), it appears as though our universe and all the other universes are kind of popping into existence in some three dimensional space. Knowing that all of what we know about space and time is only within this universe, why do artists portray the multiverse like this? Are they right in doing so? Or does making this depiction merely allow us to grasp our head around the theory?

Hi Abe,

Thanks for the question. You have encountered a conundrum in scientific illustration. Since science deals with many concepts which are inherently abstract and mathematical, it is very difficult for illustrators to accurately portray the concept. With this in mind, we give scientific illustrators and artists generous flexibility in creating the visualization. For example, it is routine to illustrate a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional surface--that is just a picture. But how does one convey what a four dimensional object looks like?

I hope this helps. Thanks Jeff Grell

Update: December 2011