NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Layer Around Rocky Core of Jovians

Name: Mark

Question:
In terms of our current understanding of the internal structure of the Jovian planets, what is the rationale for the inclusion of a "water" layer outside the rocky core?

Hi Abe,

Good question Mark. I do not know the answer. I do know that the question came up intensively during the Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts, where it was suspected that the impacts had indeed pierced the water later. However Galileo's probe, which happened to enter a dry area, did not find it.

Sorry I could not do better! David H. Levy

Update: December 2011