NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Solar Flares and Lunar Intensity

Name: Kristopher
Grade: 12+
Location: IN

Question:
Do solar flares affect the intensity of the moons reflection of sunlight?

Dear Kristopher,

Good question. Although a bright solar flair can increase the Sun's brightness very slightly, I think that the increase in reflected sunlight from the Moon would be negligible, at least unmeasurable.

David H. Levy

Solar "flares" are streams of both radiation and particles. Some of these strike Earth causing communication problems. Some also strike the Earth?s Moon.

Although I do not have specific data, it is unlikely that the impact of Solar flares would have a significant impact on the radiation in the VISIBLE part of the electromagnetic radiation (the small part we can see). None the less your inquiry is appropriate.

Update: December 2011