NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gliding Birds
Name: Karen

Question:
I am in first grade.Can you please tell me how can birds fly without moving their wings?

Soaring birds find rising air and ride it up. This can come from air that is rising after it is warmed or sometimes from air that is blowing up a mountain side.

This is the same way that a man can stay up in a glider.