NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Aspirin Discovery
Name: Carolyn

Question:
In what plant was the active ingredient in asprin originally discovered ??

Dear Carolyn:

Willow (Salix)
http://www.discoveryhealth.com/DH/ihtIH/WSDSC000/8059/23707/237089.html?d=dm tSimple
*

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

Carolyn,

My only info. on this comes from the genus for willow....Salix. The scientific name for aspirin is acetylSALICYLICacid. (I added the capital letters). My recollection was that the origin came from the tradition of American Indians using willow bark as a painkiller (they would chew on bits of it to extract the compound.

Dr. Rupnik

I believe it is from the inner bark of the willow. The technical name for aspirin, salicylic acid, and the Latin genus name of willow, salix, come from the same root.