NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Venus Fly Trap
Name: Jon Catoe

Question:
Hi my name is Jon Catoe and I am a seventh grader. I am currently involved in a science research project. My topic is the Venus's Fly Trap, for which I have completed a report. My question is since there is a time of growth where the trap is not able to gather insects, how does the Venus Fly Trap receive its nitrogen supplement?

Jon, I don't have any written information on this, but from what I recall the Venus fly trap is able to grow as a regular plant and acquire nutrition from the soil. Consuming an unfortunate fly is supplementary. You might consult your library for a book on exotic houseplants. They also sell a variety of plant care books at your local bookstore. Ask the clerk or librarian for assistance if you have a hard time locating the information you are seeking. Thanks for using NEWTON!

Ric (rickru)