NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Why leaves change colors
Name: Tim Barkley

Question:
My fourth grader is looking for data on "Why leaves change colors"... I understand that it is dealing with plant senescence but can you put that in words that a 9 year old can understand? . Thank you.

Tim,
Here is a simple explanation for leaves changing color. Leaves have different pigments in them. Usually these colors are covered up by the green of the leaves chlorophyll. When the leaf slows down its production of chlorophyll the other colors begin to appear.

Hope this helps!
B Whitbeck