NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnesium sulfate reaction
Name: Lim

Question:
I am working on glass and I am putting magnesium sulfate in the glass but my dad is concerned that it might blow up in our faces. Is this true?

I am not aware of any danger if I correctly understand your question. I have purchased various forms of magnesium sulfate in glass bottles. Most companies now sell it in plastic because of the lowered cost and shipping weight. Now there might be a danger if you're putting magnesium sulfate directly into molten glass. Post your question for the chemistry section. Hope this helps. And, always wear glasses when in the shop or lab!

Michael B Lomonaco