NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Duckling identification
Name: SSample

Question:
I have a wild duck of some type that is still a duckling. Is there a source I can access to identify ducklings?

The problem with identification of ducklings is that generally they all look very similar. I know there are differences between ducklings, but in most cases they are still under the care of their parents, who can be identified.

To answer your question, I can not find any sources that treat this subject to any degree. The Audubon Society's Master Guide to Birding will make statements regarding the appearance of young, but these are generally for sub-adults, not ducklings. Keep in mind that ducklings are nondescript for the purpose of protective coloration and have no reason to display breeding colors or be identified by members of their species at such a young age.

Steven D Sample