NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Electrolysis
Name: John Smith

Question:
This topic is kind of all the sciences combined, but I'll put it here. My question is actually just asking for anybody to help me. My topic is electrolysis. Any help is appreciated. Please just tell me what you know. Thanks a lot!!!

This question would be better placed in the chemistry section. Electrolysis is simply the use of an electric current to change the chemistry of a substance. Water is a good example. Water is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom combined in a single molecule. We can cool water to a solid and we can boil liquid water to a gas, but in all these three states, it is still water. Placing a electric current (direct current) into water will result in the formation of bubbles at both the + and - electrodes. These bubbles are the result of the water molecule being taken apart and changed into oxygen gas and hydrogen gas. This is a chemical change because these gases do not behave like the water from which they came. Electrolysis is used in a number of different applications with many different types of molecules, not just water.

You can learn more about electrolysis from an encyclopedia or chemistry textbook.
Steven D Sample