NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Arch supports
Name: Tu

Question:
My question is about the foot. Actually, it's not really on the chemistry of the human body. I have flat feet and I need to wear an orthopedic, otherwise know as an arch support in my shoe. What it does is elevate and support the arch of my foot. Here is my scenario question. The orthopedic is very rigid and has a spring constant much higher than the rest of my foot. As a result, at high pressures, my foot will first absorb some of the force. At higher forces and as my foot had absorbed some of the force, the orthopedic begins to play a greater role. It's much stiffer. Thus a greater proportion of force is placed on my arches than on a person's arches who is not flat footed at high forces. Ideally then, an orthopedic would have the same spring constant as a natural arch and/or the foot. Is this the case of the use of an orthopedic?
Talk to me via internet if this scenario doesn't make sense to you.
Thanks!

Tu,

I can only comment very briefly. To the best of my knowledge, the main function of an arch support it to correct some misalignment of either the foot, the leg, or the entire body caused by the orientation of the foot when placed on the ground. You can imagine how muscles and joints might have to be flexed should the placement of the foot on the ground cause a twisting or misalignment as described above. I think apart from that it should simply be a corrective device in body / joint/ muscle alignment. I cannot really comment on your force question. I would THINK that, for 2 people, one WITH and one WITHOUT the device, experiencing the same force and given proper alignment for both individuals (one UNCORRECTED and the other CORRECTED, respectively) the force experienced should be the same. This assumes that the person using the device has had a good fitting of the device, which can be quite involved.

I hope some of this information helps. Hopefully someone in this career could comment on your force question.

Ric (rickru)