NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Spawning salmon
Name: Bryan Gardiner

Question:
Can you please tell me how many miles per day spawning salmon travels from the ocean to its destination? I would like to know how long it takes the salmon to get to the Adams river from the Pacific ocean.
Thank you.

The actual distance traveled per day by salmon varies from species to species, but in several samples of Chinook, the results were as follows:
(the Chinook were going up the Yukon River, then into different creeks to spawn)
Group 1 - 52 miles/day
Group 2 - 60 miles/day
Group 3 - 47 miles/day
Group 4 - 50 miles/day
All of the numbers from this study are averages.
I hope this helps you find the answer you're looking for!

Tom F Ihde