NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Grey whales
Name: Amanda Kenefick

Question:
My question is how much do the grey whales pectoral fins weigh? Also I would like to know how much the grays weigh? My last question is what do the grey whales pectoral fins look like?

Hi Amanda, thanks for the question!
Grey whales are pretty amazing animals, bigger than any other animal ever to live on the earth! (at least that we've discovered so far!) When full-grown, they weigh between 25 - 35 TONS! The females are usually bigger than the males.

The grey whale's pectoral flippers are rounded, and used mainly for steering and stabilizing the whale.

I'm not sure what a fin (or "flipper") would weigh, though you might be able to find this kind of information at your library in a book on "Whaling", because you'd have to kill the whale to find out how much a flipper weighs!!

Tom F Ihde