NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Determining age of whales
Name: Bruce W Walkey

Question:
While browsing through the Internet, I came upon a question by two fifth grade students. Their question got me thinking and now I pose it to you. How can you determine the age of whales? Since they are mammals, can the methods that are used on humans be used on whales? What are some tests that can be done on bones or tissues to determine age? Looking forward to your reply.

Although it is difficult to determine the age of whales (unless they are born in captivity and we know their birth date), several methods have been commonly used: 1) (if female) the examination of the ovaries 2) Examination of the ridges on baleen, which are not uniform in size and analogous to tree rings. The problem with this is that baleen wears away over time. 3) Studying layers of ossification in an ear bone is probably the most accurate method of aging, since internal bones don't wear away. The biggest problem with aging methods is that they usually require that you are dissecting the animal, and often, we would like a method of aging for live active animals. The best we can do here is to compare the size and markings of whales of known age to those found in the wild. Great question!
Tom F Ihde