NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Acupuncture
Name: Todd A Kucera

Question:
I need information on acupuncture, I was wondering if you could help. Please let me know if you can help me.

Well, I have some info to start you out on your search for knowledge. Acupuncture works (theoretically, anyway) by placing pins just below the skin in very specific places on the body in very specific combinations, thereby stimulating nerve bundles to subtly relax muscle fibers, relieving tension and thereby relieving pain and stress (*at least, temporarily). According to Taoism, the acupuncture points are located where natural nodes in the human body meet, concentrating the "Chi" at these places -- so by placing the needles at these nodes, one redistributes this vital energy to the rest of the body, thereby restoring the natural balance. In the modern age, some practitioners have even gone so far as to apply mild electrical stimulation to some of their patient's needles, in order to give the "Chi" a boost, so to speak.

Hope that helps...

Wordsworth