NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Genetic code
Name: Sandburg J High

Question:
Has anyone cracked the Genetic code yet or are they still working on it?

The genetic code has indeed been "cracked"; that is, we know how a s sequence of nucleotides (in DNA or RNA) specifies the sequence of amino acids (in proteins). In fact, you can find a "code table" in most high school biology texts (I think), or any college level biology or genetics or biochemistry text. If you want, I can send a copy of the code (if you can't find it anywhere else).

Steve J Triezenberg