NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cryonics
Name: Neil A Shah

Question:
Do you think that with the progress in nanotechnology and cryonic preservation techniques that it will be possible to bring a cryogenically suspended person back to a functioning state within the next 20 years??? Also, do you see any validity in cryonics or is it just a passing fad that has gained a lot of publicity (your personal opinion is what I'm driving at)?? I would like to gain the input of a scientist since I am doing a project on cryonics and its ethical implication. I would like to learn if cryonics is even feasible or just another outrageous statement without scientific backing?

Thanks for your time!

For an amusing perspective on cryonics, look for a book called Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition by Ed Regis, published about 3 years ago. I believe it has references for further research...

Jade Hawk