NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Poison in apple seeds?
Name: Richardo Cossyleon

Question:
Is it true apple seeds contain small traces of poison?

I've not studied this in depth but understand that apple seeds do contain a certain amount of toxic compounds. I've heard, but cannot confirm, that while small numbers of seeds are dangerous, eating a larger number will induce vomiting before the poison is absorbed. The whole business seems a bit unlikely to me, I confess, since apples are so widely eaten and we never hear directly of apple-related fatalities.

Ethan Allen

Apple seeds contain "prunasin" which is a cyanogenic glycoside - a chemical that can become a poison when it is digested - it releases cyanide. Apples are in the genus Prunus and members of Prunus make these types of poisons.

Susan P McCormick