NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dog vision
Name: Michelangelo 

Question:
Why can dogs only see black and white?

I believe this is a myth, caused by early, not very sophisticated studies. As far as I know (I used to study color vision in fish) dogs can see color. But apparently color is not nearly as important to them as it is to us. It may be that for terrestrial carnivores, its more important to have good acuity (the ability to detect detail) than to see color. But for herbivores it may be more important to be able to see color (e.g., for telling if a fruit is ripe). P.S. this same holds true for cats, too.

Ethan Allen