NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tooth loss in adults
Name: Mike

Question:
Why do adults lose teeth?

Mike,

Adults loose teeth primarily through accidents or disease. The former are pretty clear, if you get hit in the mouth by a hard object your teeth may get knocked out. I assume you want to know about the latter. Teeth are complex structures with blood circulation, nerves, and bone all beneath the white enamel covering. While the enamel is tough, the rest of these parts can be damaged easily. Gum disease is a big factor. If the gums recede from the enamel, it exposes the underlying bone and allows infections to start destroying the teeth. Gum inflammation can lead eventually to receding gums. This is different from why young children loose and replace teeth. I hope this helps.

Ethan Allen