NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne AIDS attack
Name: Thaihoa Tran

Question:
Hello. My partners and I participated in a lesson plan contest. We are going to talk about AIDS. We need some information about which cells are being attacked first. What are the latest medicines that can help a person resist the virus?

The cells being attacked by the HIV virus are the helper T lymphocytes. They are involved in insuring that the B lymphocytes, which secrete antibodies, get to the site of invasion efficiently and secrete antibodies. Still the most effective drug seems to be the antiviral compound AZT.

-ProfBill