NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Biology as a career
Name: Heather Skeba

Question:
When I get into the real world I was thinking of being a biologist. How much schooling do you need? What will be the best biologist job? I really need to know, I'm in the 5th grade, almost into 6th.

Good for you! I'm a biologist and I love every minute of it. There are many possible jobs, and how much schooling you need depends on the job. At least, you need to graduate from college with a degree in biology, botany, zoology or a related field. With such a degree, you can work as a technician in a biotechnology company, or as a field biologist for the government, or similar career. Or you can go on and get a Ph.D. in biology, which takes about 5 years beyond college. With that education, you can be a professor at a university and do original research and teach classes, or you could direct an entire group doing research in biotechnology. So there are many, many possibilities, that all start with a college education, so concentrate on that. Most importantly, follow your interests, because for a career to be fun, you need to be excited about it.

--ProfBill

ProfBill's answer is right on target. I would like to add that the best job for a biologist is the one that makes her the happiest. Study hard, Heather, and load up on science and math in high school. Good luck and best wishes.

--Brian