NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Luria Broth Agar
Name: wrsundling

Question:
I am 7th grade student doing an experiment with environmental bacteria. I am using Luria Broth Agar. I need to know what nutrients are used in this agar.

If you simply need the recipe, I can provide that for you. However, Luria Broth is a rich medium, which means its content is largely undefined as far as the presence and concentrations of various nutrients. The recipe for 1 liter:

10 g Bacot-tryptone
5 g Bacto-yeast extract
10 g NaCl
pH 7.0

Bacto-tryptone is an enzymatic digest of protein to provided amino acids to the growing bacteria. Yeast extract is a powdered extract of growing yeast and provides just about any type of organic molecule that a growing bacteria would need. LB is an excellent general purpose medium because a wide variety of organisms will grow on it, but it is not very useful for defining the nutritional requirements of a particular bacterium. To do this, you would need to find a defined medium that the bacterium will grow on, and then begin removing components one at a time to test for growth. I might be able to provide you with some recipes for defined media if you are interested.

--Brian (brianschwartz)